COKE GLAZED HAM RECIPE
Serves: Approx 8-10
Cooking time: 3-4 hours
1 x 4-5kg free range christmas leg ham
2 large brown onions choppped (peeled and cut in half)
4-5 litres coca-cola
Good handful of cloves
2.5 heaped tablespoons black treacle
4 teaspoons english mustard powder
4 tablespoons demerara sugar
1. Put the ham in a large saucepan, skin-side down if it fits like that, add the onion, then pour over the Coca Cola
2. Bring to the boil, reduce to a good simmer, put the lid on, though not tightly, and cook for around 3 hours.
If your ham is larger or smaller, work out timing by using 1 hour per kilo, remembering that it’s going to get a quick blast in the oven later. But do take into account that if the ham has been in the fridge right up to the moment you cook it, you will have to give it a good 20-30 minutes extra so that the interior is properly cooked.
3. Preheat oven to 240 degrees celcius
4. When the has finished it’s time, take it out of the pan and let cool a little. (You can let it cool completely then finish off the cooking at some later stage if you want.) Then remove the skin, leaving a thin layer of fat.
5. Score the fat with a sharp knife to make fairly large diamond shapes, and stud each diamond with a clove.
6. Carefully spread the treacle over the bark-budded skin, taking care not to disturb the cloves. Gently pat the mustard and sugar onto the sticky fat. Cook in a foil-lined roasting tin for approximately 10 minutes or until the glaze is burnished and bubbly.
7. If you do choose to do the braising stage in advance and then let the ham cool, clove and glaze it and then give it 30-40 minutes, from room temperature, at 180 degrees celcius. You can turn up the oven to a hot heat towards the end if you think your ham needs it.
No one who cooks this recipe cooks it just once. It’s a real crowd pleaser.